I am trying very hard to solidify and settle into a life here in Kuwait. Over the few days I have had several incidents that have rocked my foundation (which I won't get into now...).
Our division in the company went through a "restructuring" last week, one that in the coming month I am sure will change again as more H.O people join the team. Who we lost was our VP- and American who made going to the office each day fun and reminded all of us alittle of home. He was charasmatic and funny, but for personal reasons left the business. The mood in the office on thurs. was bleak and stressed. I'll be the first to admit that I felt worried for the stability of my life out here when the news was announced. I wondered if the company was really "on the rocks" and if our captain was jumping ship in response to some unknown coming storm. Coming back to work on Sunday, I felt the mood had shifted and that everyone was filled with a renewed sense of team effort.
The second thing that has happened came about because a great friend ( "E") from work told me about a fire at our local animal shelter. Kuwait people are not known for their love of animals or being up to fire code. An electrical fire distroyed a large animal shelter and killed 39 animals. The remaining animals who survived moved to temporary accomidations waiting to find foster homes. Those of you who know me well, know how important animals are in my life. I have always felt a draw to help rescue/adopt cats or dogs. "E" connected me with a woman from the Friends of the Animal league who needs volunteers for fundraising. I am very excited to be able to still participate in charity work while living here. The second part is that I am now a proud foster mom to "whisper"!! She's a shy, 4yr old Saluki who is scared of the "temp" kennel the rescues were staying in. She's incredibly freindly to people but is scared of cars-elevators-loud noise. I hope to teach her confidence and housetraining (!) while I have her.
Who knows maybe she'll teach me how to relax and stay awhile.
Good night- and wish me luck with my new found purpose.
March 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shake ups at work are always tough to endure - especially in your situation where you co-workers are essentially your community.
ReplyDeleteTry to keep your chin up and endure these stormy seas!