February 18, 2010

happy anny to me

As promised.....

Happy anniversary to me, happy anniversary to me...I have officially been in Kuwait for 1 month! I'm actually liking the city very much. The people I work with are FAB (a British slang), the weather has been mild, the food good (almost too good- I've gained weight), my bosses are wonderful, and Kuwait isnt nearly as "foreign" or "rough" as I was expecting in the Middle East.

What I miss most is my friends and family. I miss having daily text chats and phone calls when a crisis at work hit. I also miss the ease of GOING out with those friends and seeing movies, plays, the city, etc... My American co-workers miss the booze, but I miss just "doing stuff".

Speaking of Booze...... I broke down last night at the grocery store and bought this (see photo)

For those who cant quite see clearly, its the FRE ("free") NON- ALCOHOLIC wine. I hear you yelling "Whats the point!?"- but I was desperate for the feel of a glass of red wine in my hand after a long day at work. So I take my "wine" home, settle in for the evening- excited that I will try to imagine the taste of real wine. But in true Amanda fashion- I dont have a cork screw!! and what's worse, its not like there's an LCBO around the corner that I can buy it from. They dont even sell cork screws at IKEA here! Imagine me upset that I couldn't open my bottle of non-alcoholic wine....go ahead and laugh, I know I did. Its all for the best apparently, as I was told that wines like this always taste aweful. I still need to find a corkscrew though-- one day I hope to have blackmarket hooch!

So my bottle of FRE is sitting on my counter mocking me.
(note the arabic on the label- it roughly translates to: HA,HA,HA take that Amanda!!!)

*NOTE: as of Feb19th- bought a corkscrew- tried the wine- and everyone was right, the wine IS aweful!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are able to adjust to all the differences. It sounds like despite the many challenges, you are happy and that puts me at ease. I can't believe it has been a month already - congrats! - can we go back to the cruise? I love the story about the Fre - I'm laughing with you! Perhaps you need a care package - with a corkscrew - just in case.. but then again, things happen for a reason - and maybe it wasn't meant for you to drink the non-alcoholic wine. Thanks for the update. Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete